5.22.2011

Project 3: Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstain 35 Blushing

For today’s product test I am going to review the Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstain. I had my eyes on a new kind of lipstick after I saw the ad on Maybelline’s homepage. Since the lip-gloss I was using before almost ran out, I decided to go to a drug store to buy this new lipstick a few months ago.

Maybelline is a cosmetics company and has sold its products all over Germany for many years now. they sell concealer, rogue, eye-shadow, mascara, nail polish, and lip gloss – or to put it simply: everything a woman needs to look beautiful. It didn't take me long to find the lipstain as it is sold in a wide variety of drug stores and supermarkets. This particular product comes in ten different colors: 5 In the Buff, 15 Wink of Pink, 25 Feelin' Rosy, 35 Blushing, 45 Bitten Berry, 55 Plum Flushed, 65 Cranberry Crush, 75 Cherry Pop, 85 Bit of Brown, and 95 Touch of Toffee. I was looking for a color which is not too light and not too dark either, so I decided on 35 Blushing.
Brand: Maybelline
Product: Color Sensational Lipstain - 35 Blushing
Price: About 10€ on Amazon [$5.50 at Walmart and 7.49 USD pretty much everywhere else]
Description: “SHEER WASH OF COLOR Fresh, barely-there feel 10 tempting shades“ [Quote: Maybelline]
Usage: As needed

The Lipstain’s price is about average, meaning lipsticks and lip-gloss of rival companies (e. g. L’oréal, Manhatten) range between 8 and 12 Euro as well. The product is about 11,5 cm tall and 1,5cm wide. Its design reminds me of a marker, which seems to support the product’s name pretty well.  The cover can be easily removed unless your hands are sweaty or wet due to the glossy, plastic cap. Given you managed to remove the cap, you will instantly notice a sweet and fruity smell.
In my opinion the tip of lipstain is just the right size and is neither too hard nor too soft. Because of that I’m able to apply the lipstain very easily and accurately. The lipstick is pretty much applied as if you would draw out a picture, the lipstain lies in one’s hand like a regular marker. I really like the applicator because it enables you to regulate how much of the  product you want to apply which is not always the case with some lip glosses.

At first glance the color seems darker on the lips then on the products cap. However if you hold the cap next to your lips and compare the colors, it appears to match quite nicely [see image below].
After applying the Color Sensational Lipstain, I felt as if I hadn't applied anything to my lips - which supports the company's claim.  At first this feeling would make me leave the house and think that I really forgot to put lipstick on. However, by looking in the mirror, one can tell that there is actually something applied.
The product leaves a very natural look and thus the lips don’t shine or look greasy.  Even when drinking from a white cup or kissing someone, there aren’t any traces left behind. The lipstain is tasteless and is based on water based pigments.  It isn’t one of those lipsticks which lasts all day. After several hours [depending on what you do] the lipstick vanishes and you’ll need to reapply it. I don’t see this attribute as a problem, because I would expect something like this from a lipstick looking this natural

My conclusion about this product: The Maybelline Lipstain was able to satisfy me completely. It makes your lips look natural but with an intense color. It is easy to apply and to remove. Only point to criticize: From my experience, I had to store the lipstain in a standing position, with the cap facing upwards - otherwise it tends to dry up.  This made me believe that the lipstick was empty after a few weeks. Luckily that wasn’t the case and after storing it away as described, it is working very well.

Tested by Sekai

No comments:

Post a Comment